I've been carrying a little embroidery project around since July. It's a kit I picked up in Virginia at the Newmarket Battlefield Museum shop while on vacation with my mother (Hi Mom!) and it's a simple bookmark with four quilt patterns in cross stitch. Finished that up during the week and it looks pretty good after travelling many miles in purse, suitcase, and carry-on bag.

The big weekend project was getting some serious work done on a quilt that I started many, many years back. It's been so long that I don't actually know where some of the components came from anymore. It's a 1940's style embroidered piece featuring blocks with the state birds and flowers of the US. I either got the blocks from a yard sale (which I think may be the case) or from a family member, but I honestly don't remember. At any rate, the blocks are embroidered in a naive style and I spent much time trimming floss ends and squaring them off. They are now assembled into a bedspread top with dividing sashing in coordinating fabric, lacking only the borders (which are cut out and I'll put them on tonight) and eventually batting and tying, rather than quilting. It's just too big a piece to contemplate handquilting at this point in my life and my machine is too small to machine quilt something this bulky.

This photo doesn't give a real sense of the size. That's a queen size bed and you can only see six rows of blocks. There are nine in total, plus the borders. It will cover the pillows and still hang to the floor at the foot of the bed when it's finished. I hope the day of completion will be Tuesday, since it's a national holiday and I have the day free. Fingers crossed!
No comments:
Post a Comment