And now on to Singapore. On October 1st I flew Sofia-Istanbul-Singapore and was greeted by Logan and Hye-Jung at Changi Airport on the afternoon of the 2nd. Somehow, I never realized just how really hot and humid it really is that close to the equator. We headed straight to Logan's flat for an amazing meal of Bibimbap, then I unpacked a bit and we headed out for a bit of shopping and sightseeing and ended the evening with a gin and tonic on the waterfront. Here are some views of the touristy neighborhoods in the center of the city (and just a short walk from Logan's flat).
I have a day-by-day log of everything that we did, but that's a little excessive even for a blog. Let's just hit the high points. Sunday saw us out for dim sum and fresh squeezed fruit juice (watermelon and green apple - yum!), shopping at several large malls, including a visit to Takashimaya, which was the most amazing department store ever, coffee and dinner at Jumbo Seafood. I'm starting to see a pattern here of focussing on food!
I was astounded to see people leaving purses and backpacks on seats in the food court to save seats, then wandering off to peruse the many food stalls. Evidently, it is quite safe to leave your belongings unattended. That would not be the case at home.
The following day saw us on the cable car to Sentosa, where we had drinks and hung out on the beach, visited the Merlion and rode the monorail. The cable car was scary while I was on it and was even more so after we got off when Logan told me that in 1983 an oil rig (under tow) hit the cable and two cars crashed into the sea, killing several people. It was raised to the current height to prevent any future tragedies, but it's still pretty scary, especially when it goes up to the highest point.
More to come...
No comments:
Post a Comment