First, a few caveats. I AM aware that modern aqua ribbon is not appropriate for lacing, but on a Sunday night in Bulgaria, you take what you can get to be able to take a picture. I'll be replacing it with black silk cord as soon as I have a chance to make some. Second, the breastband will eventually be couched and pearled, so use your imagination for the time being. Third - for Mom - you were right, as usual. This gown is based on the pattern from Reconstructing History and my plan was to make the high-necked version. My mother took one look at the pattern and said "you should make the low-necked gown. You wouldn't look good with that high collar." I drafted that version first and had to do a lot of re-cutting to get something that didn't make me look like a turtle peeking out of its shell. Oh well. I also have to say I did a lot of tailoring on the bodice, because I am really short waisted. I needed to take a good three inches off the length to have it sit at my waist and not my hips. I still think it was a good idea to start with the higher version, because I have small shoulders and the lower gown could be dangerous to wear in public!
This photo has the gown over an old cotton t-tunic, just so you can get a better idea of what the final dress will look like. Please imagine the sleeves tightly fitted to my arms and the puff & slashes just below the shoulder and at the elbows. It looks much better on a body that laid out on a bed.

I have a linen undergown cut out and blackwork almost finished for the collar and cuffs.

After that, I need to make a cap and this will be a complete outfit. Phew! That leaves me with two more sets of garb to do in the next six weeks. Excelsior!
No comments:
Post a Comment